Friday, 24 August 2012

Here, there, everywhere

   It's a holiday, and I'm staring at this blank page wondering what i should write about. But then there's always the last resort, taking brother's advice and writing about something i'm passionate about. Only one thing comes to mind. There, i'm brightening up at that prospect at once. Because cliched as it sounds, thats what the Beatles do, brighten up my day. And I'm sure i'm not the only one.
  The Beatles don't need an introduction. If you are wondering, they are only the best band that ever existed, ever will. Says I. And millions of devoted fans. John wrote the songs, played the rhythm, Paul played the bass and sang, George played lead and Ringo played the drums. Together they formed the Beatles, and their music influencing the world since the 1960s. They defined rock for what it is today, having explored everything from pop to psychedelic  classical to jazz in their decade together.
    My dad was playing this John Lennon documentary once, thats when i heard 'In my life' for the first time, I stopped. I stopped and listened to the song. I had never listened before, just heard. I was addicted then and there, and i'm going to stay addicted for the rest of my life. From 'love me do' to 'I want to hold your hand', they could really take the cliches of love and sing them to you in such a way, you'll find yourself falling in love. Consider the lyrics of ' All my loving', "Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow i'll miss you, remember I'll always be true". So elementary, so unassuming, so honest. And just so utterly beautiful. Their early hits were simply constructed, yet they hold you, caress you and you're in love right there. Beatles love songs are a different brand altogether. A set of simple words, "All you need is love", thats all the Beatles needed. No flowery language, no overcrowded, over-poetic(if such a thing exists) phrases. Sincere words strung together truthfully singing of love. Thats just the lyrics. Wait till i get started about the music. Paul singing "lead me to your door" in 'The long and winding road', you can hear the stifled pain in his voice, and in 'yesterday'. The variety of music the Beatles gave the world, so staggeringly vast. They sang a lot of feel-good songs, songs which make you smile so wide and have you asking for more. Songs like "A hard day's night', "I'm looking through you', "Lovely Rita", "Strawberry fields forever", I don't want to say anything about them, i can't really do them justice. Listen to songs like 'Tomorrow never knows' and 'She said she said' for a taste of their psychedelic front, songs George wrote inspired from indian music, incorporating the elements of rock in right places, especially 'Within you without you' and ' Love you to'. If you want plain sexy, stay in bed and listen to 'Something', or stand in the shower singing 'I want you(she's so heavy). Some of their music is so heartbreakingly melancholy, I can't stop the tears from dripping steadily. A song about unrequited love 'For no one', is the best example. 'And in her eyes you see nothing, no sign of love behind the tears, cried for no one, a love that should have lasted years'. Need i say more? And I must mention 'Eleanor Rigby', a song about all the lonely people. Listen to it and you are carried off to a world where you don't have anyone who will cry when you leave. People, places and poetry. Perfection.
 I have tried so hard to work out which album of theirs i love best, I really can't decide. So i won't. I'll just sit on a beanbag and listen to all of them over and over again and smile and laugh and cry and fall in love. If you haven't  done that already, I suggest you go ahead right away. Here, there, everywhere.

Post a Comment