(Not) Open to interpretation
On my 18th birthday when I awoke
My teeth crooked with expectations
I did not know how kisses worked
Let alone love.
I spoke to clouds still
And threw words like soulmate
Around till they cringed themselves
Grey, unbound, laughing uncontrollably.
Before I knew it I was 20 already
Stark in the middle of repressed teenage
I did not know how words worked
Let alone love.
I spoke to my mother still
And she pulled the covers over me
Every night and lied that she was proud
As she watched me let her daughter down.
Turning 22 was a real drag and I
Crawled into golden cages and padlocked them.
I did not know how alcohol worked
Let alone love.
I spoke to shadows still
Every sin and sinner made sense
Who the fuck did I think I was, an artist?
Taking liberties that I would never fully earn.
24 years into this mess I am, cleaning up after
Myself, stacking my shoes in orderly rows.
I know how promises work, maybe even
A little about love.
I speak to myself still
Walk barefoot on beaches with majestic
Crabs clawing at my toes, and it does not
Hurt, I think I might have almost turned brave.
No comments:
Post a Comment